Sunday, February 22, 2009

On Needles

I imagine most every knitter dreams of having straights, doublepoints and circulars in all the sizes and lengths.... I do. When I was in college, my parents gave me the next best thing: one of those sets of needle tips and various lengths of cables. Knitting with them was not fun. The tips would come loose and the stitches would drop into the cravasse between the two.

For this project I had planned to buy circulars once I knew what size I needed but I finished the gauge swatches too late to get to the shop before they closed. Wanting to cast on right then, I rummaged through my needle canister and came out with these 13" aluminum straights that I'm pretty sure were made in the Neolithic Era. Whether I bought them when I first started building my own collection, or I inherited them from my mother, they definitely now qualify as antiques. Surprisingly, they worked out fine; just took a bit of getting use to after knitting socks with 6" bamboo doublepoints for what seems like forever.

The guernsey's done now and the little guy who wears it will be toasty warm on chilly days. A classic pattern, knit with classic needles. What a nice match it turned out to be.


1 comment:

  1. Hey there Shari - I just stumbled across your blog when I was surfing around looking for more knitting blogs! So fun to have found you. Love that you are writing about your knitting! Can't wait to see what comes next!

    Best,
    Elizabeth (of another windjammer ;-)

    ReplyDelete